Lately I have been feeling lighter, fresher, and free- and my home reflects how I feel on the inside.
I noticed how my personal aesthetic has evolved over the past couple of years- from blacks to pale pink and gold, I’ve slowly brightened up my life and opened my heart a little more.
My new bedroom decor is a representation of how I feel on the inside, with simple luxuries and a feminine feel. My minimalist approach to my decor is practical and chic, choosing quality over quantity and a purpose for each piece.
As many may know from my writing, it has been a turbulent few years. The process of changing yourself on the inside, overcoming pain, and getting (but most importantly, staying) sober is emotionally draining, but coming home to a haven is imperative to my serenity.
I wrote about my leisurely morning on my other blog, Sobah in the City, where I share stories of self improvement and living sober and chic.
Life is a journey, and it’s even more meaningful when you learn to live beautifully.
Orchid: Trader Joe’s / Mug and Robe: TJ Maxx / Bracelet: Olivia Burton / Nail Polish: Essie “Let it Glow” Bedding: Primark
It’s the small things in life that bring the biggest joy.
“Living beautifully” is my MO, from engaging in self care to noticing all of the lovely things around me. Living mindfully has helped me appreciate life on a whole new level, and it doesn’t take much to live a beautiful life.
Here are a few things that will help you live beautifully, too.
1. Go for a morning walk. Whether you are able to enjoy time in nature or breathe in the city air, being outside lifts your spirits and gets you moving in the morning.
2. Arrange a bouquet- either from your front yard or the local florist- to display at home. There’s nothing like fresh flowers to brighten your soul and create a stylish home.
3. Create a cozy environment with pieces near and dear to your heart. Our outer world is a reflection of our inner world! Adding personal touches is important when decorating your little zen den.
4. Indulge in a tasty tea or hibiscus drink the next time you go out for errands. Even day-to-day tasks such as going to the bank or post office can be fun when you have something to look forward to.
5. Use a pretty day planner. I LOVE crossing items off my to-do list, and having a cute agenda makes daily life less daunting.
6. Embrace your inner goddess by creating a self-care routine each morning. I invested in a Jade roller, cocoa butter cream, and luxurious face serum to start my morning off right after taking a shower. Bring the spa home!
7. Drink from your favorite cup. I have a great variety of mugs and glasses to make my morning coffee or seltzer water feel like a special treat. Enjoy it!
What do you do to live beautifully? Let me know!
I’ve always been the type of person who kept her circle small.
Growing up, I had one best friend- we were both artists who shied away from the more rambunctious children. We didn’t participate in the gossip, nor did we play rough. We spent time drawing, chatting on the swing set, and using our imagination to create a magical world around us.
As I got older, my habits stayed the same. I wasn’t invited to parties and I didn’t sit with the popular group at lunch- nor did I try to.
I’ve always done my own thing- but I have been fortunate to always have a few good friends.
Friends who always “get” me. Friends who have my best interest at heart. Friends who encourage me to be my best self- and who see the beauty within that I may not recognize on my own.
As an adult, I realize that I won’t be liked by everyone. I wouldn’t want to be! Not everyone is on the same path- and that is okay. We are all on our own journey.
Today, I don’t have to take other people’s criticism personal, and I don’t have to engage or acknowledge their drama- because I know that the people who do matter to me are all I need.