It’s amazing how many inspiring people I’ve had the opportunity to connect with through my writing. Just the other morning I woke up to an email from a lovely girl named Celine.
She had discovered a piece of mine on Thought Catalog that resonated with her own powerful message:
“When did we start to receive raised eyebrows and concerned looks when talking about our hopes and dreams?
How odd is it to live life as we are supposed to? Like, how weird?
All we get is one life to live. Every day we experience is unique and will never come again. Ever. Time goes in only one direction and it starts running out the second we are born. And yet we spend hours and days and years and maybe even a lifetime trying to live up on other’s expectations.”
I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read her email. It was as if I had met a soul sister- and I did! 💞
After watching her video, I sent her an email to let her know how amazing it was how she is spreading this message at such a young age- although I’ve always lived the life I loved, in the back of my mind I still questioned myself.
Despite following my dreams, I allowed society to make me feel inferior or “weird” compared to those who followed a conventional path.
Here’s a little breakdown of my life, post-college:
- When I was 21, I thought I needed to get a corporate job to be considered successful.
- When I was 22, I got engaged.
- When I was 23, I called it off and moved to San Francisco.
- When I was 25, I thought I needed a relationship that was on the road to marriage.
- When I was 27, I created a fashion blog to validate myself to others.
- When I was 29, I moved to New York City and thought I needed to work in fashion and make a lot of money to “be someone.”
- When I was 31, none of the above “worked” for me and I finally stopped concerning myself with outside forces, moved to Boston, and became honest with both myself and others.
I started Mindful in Style on December 7th, 2016, and it’s been an amazing journey ever since. I learned vulnerability is a gift, and being different is one of the biggest blessings that I never even asked for.
Life is all about following what is in your heart, listening to your intuition, and enjoying the journey.
It’s not about what others think, what you “should” do, or where you’re at in the timeline of life.
There IS no timeline.
Celine has been a wonderful inspiration to both myself and thousands of others on YouTube. I’m grateful there are many other young women who know that outside validation won’t determine your worth or value to the world.
Your value comes from within.
Thank you, Celine, for reaching out to me. You have been a shining light in my life this past week! 💫